Wednesday, June 20, 2012

1. BREAKING TRAINING

With Gratitude to Julian of Norwich, died c. 1416

I let myself believe
that all is well, and
all is well, and all
manner of thing
shall be well.
How contrary to
my upbringing,
this notion is,
as if to see
this troubled
world and feel
around inside it
for the healing,
is to be
boring, vapid,
born without
imagination, or,
worse yet,
a traitor to
my ancestors.
But I take comfort
in the certainty
that we mystics
have no need of
adjectives, and that my
Sister Julian
would recognize me
not as Jewish mystic
but as a fellow celebrant
at the dawning of the day.

(Thanks also to Joanne Rose, fellow Type Rider Writer. I've launched this collection using a phrase "I let myself..." from something she wrote. And while I'm about the business of acknowledgements, special thanks to my friend and teacher, Maya Stein.)

2 comments:

  1. I feel so happy to be celebrating with you as you open the door to a new home that will be filled with your beautiful poems, like paintings on the walls, and i am especially grateful that a few little words that came to me found their way to you too and started off the dawn of this new day for you with the first of what will surely be many beautiful poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So happy to riding around in this field of Creation with you!

      Delete